Katmai Water Taxi operates June 1 – September 20 (subject to change). The price is $330 per person round trip. We will accept bookings beyond September 20 for parties of 6 or more. You may book online using the form provided below. Call to book, If booking only one way/ or late season. We reserve the right to change and modify trips due to adverse weather concerns or for unforeseen circumstances.
To book over the phone please call : 1 (907) 246-4654
Booking for the departure and return trips are handled in two separate forms. Please make sure to book your return trip after booking your departure from King Salmon. If you do not pre book your return trip, we cannot guarantee you passage on the boat for your return from Brooks Camp. Make sure that the number of tickets booked for departure matches the number of tickets for your return. After successfully booking your departure trip, after payment, you will receive a confirmation email with a link and password to the page where you will book your return trip. Return trip cost is included in initial booking. Please use the same name, email address, and number of seats reserved in both bookings.
***Please note that once you book your seats they are non refundable, for any reason. We do not refund for late arrivals or early departures. If you miss your scheduled departure or return, you can contact us to schedule on the next AVAILABLE DEPARTURE OR RETURN. Travel insurance is strongly recommended to protect your purchase. If you are not able to travel on your originally booked voyage, we will work with you to move your seats to a future time or future season with advanced notice.
Please see the King Salmon schedule below for a full list of departure times.
The water taxi returns from Brooks Camp every even hour starting at 8 AM, with the last return at 8 PM in June and July, 6 PM in August, and 5 PM in September as long as lighting, and weather conditions allow. We reserve the right to modify or change any trip due to adverse weather, or unforeseen circumstances. Safety is our top priority. Please read the last statement again.
- Please allow yourself at least one hour prior to water taxi departure time for lodge, and 45 minutes for airport pick up prior to your scheduled departure. * Example: If your flight lands at 8:25 AM, your safest bet is to schedule the 11 AM water taxi.
- Please allow your self at least 2+ hours from Brooks Camp return time for same day airport departures. * Example: If your flight departs at 6:30 PM, your safest bet is to take the 4 PM or earlier return.
- Katmai Water Taxi Services is a transportation service only. Once you disembark the boat you are self guided at Brooks Camp and surrounding areas. It will be your responsibility to check in at the Brooks Camp Visitors Center to participate in the mandatory bear viewing orientation class hosted by Katmai National Park staff.
- We do not have the capability or the insurance coverage to store your excess luggage. Please store at the lodge that you are staying at (and make arrangements to have that lodge deliver your luggage to the airport for you if needed), or at the airport luggage storage facility in Anchorage.
- Each passenger is allowed 50lbs of gear. There is a charge of $1 per pound over 50lbs. The boat has plenty of cargo space, so all gear will travel with you.
- Adverse weather is common in Katmai and the King Salmon Area (especially in the Fall). Although the water taxi is not generally effected by fog; High winds from the East can occasionally cause delays and cancellations. You are strongly encouraged to purchase travel insurance as we do not offer any refund for delayed or cancelled voyages. However, we will make every effort to reschedule you on the next AVAILABLE departure when it is safe to continue service, or issue you a credit to use at a future date. Travel insurance will protect you in the case of travel interruptions, and in many cases cover the cost of lodging and flights, if you miss your flight or for any other travel interruption! Travel insurance can be independently purchased through companies such as Global Rescue and AIG Travel Guard. A note from the National Park Service: Alaska parks are different. Plan, prepare, and know before you go! Trips in Alaska National Parks require research, planning, and Flexibility.Be prepared for last minute changes in weather conditions, or routes to be more strenuous and take longer than expected. This is especially true when planning a trip into the backcountry. With less than 5 miles of maintained roads, Katmai is a wilderness park. It’s backcountry is filled with limitless possibilities for adventure, challenge, exploration, and solitude. Wilderness travel can be by foot, kayak, canoe, raft, boat, or airplane. Planning and flexibility are key to a successful trip.
- There is a $25 change fee for each ticket, for changes made to your reservation after booking. Travel insurance is strongly recommended.
- The Katmai Water Taxi shuttle: If coming in for a day trip, the shuttle will pick you up 30 minutes prior to your scheduled water taxi departure; either at the King Salmon Airport, with a stop at the Sockeye Saloon as well (located just 3 doors down on the same side of the street as the airport/ there is a sign in front that says Katmai Water Taxi Shuttle Stop). If you are staying at an approved lodge, the shuttle will pick you up between 1 hour to 45 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time. Please be specific on your flight arrival time and /or the name of the lodge you are staying at. If you just list “lodge” or “AirBnB” on your booking form, we won’t know where that is, and will not pick you up, or call around to find you! The shuttle makes several stops, so please be patient. We will pick you up in a timely manner and some flexibility is required.
- If you do not book your return trip or do not show up to your booked return time, we cannot guarantee you passage returning from Brooks Camp unless there is room to do so. Please be at the boat at least 10 minutes prior to departure time from Brooks Camp. The boat leaves on time. Any costs that you incur if you miss your scheduled voyage or if you don’t schedule your return are your responsibility.
- There is no valet service for luggage once you disembark the vessel at Brooks Camp. If you will require extra assistance with your luggage, please prearrange with Brooks Lodge to meet you at the beach upon your arrival.
Alaska can experience unpredictable and adverse weather conditions. Katmai Water Taxi reserves the right to cancel any trip if it is deemed unsafe. Katmai Water Taxi reserves the right to change your departure or return for the safe handling of the passengers and crew due to adverse weather. If you are asked to get on an earlier water taxi return due to adverse weather conditions, and you refuse, we cannot guarantee that you will be retrieved from Brooks Camp that day. We will not put the lives of our crew at risk. TRAVEL INSURANCE is strongly recommended to protect your purchase. We will not be held responsible if you do not purchase travel insurance, or if you don’t purchase a policy that allows cancelation for any reason. It is your responsibility to purchase the proper travel insurance. Katmai Water Taxi does not offer refunds for any reason. However, we will make every effort to reschedule you or your group on the next available departure when it is safe to continue service. If you have to cancel for sickness, or any other reason. We will work with you to move your seats to a future date with advanced notice. If you do not show up for your departure or return, and you do not notify us, no refund or credit will be given.
- By purchasing with Katmai Water Taxi you are agreeing and acknowledging that your tickets are non refundable, and that you will abide by Katmai Water Taxi’s terms of service. Please do not book with us if you don’t understand that you are entering into a remote wilderness environment with potentially harsh weather conditions. Flexibility is key to a successful trip into Katmai.
You are not allowed to consume alcoholic beverages or food while on the water taxi. We reserve the right to refuse passage to anyone who exhibits drunk or disorderly behavior.